Friday 26 July 2013

Run to the beat - 7 weeks to go

I've started to properly get the fear and doubt about my first half marathon, run to the beat on September 8th this year. I signed up after the buzz of my first 10km when I thought I could conquer the world, and with a few other tougher 10kms under my belt and the struggle to train in the heat I now have the fear.

As other bloggers have done, I've decided to blog my progress for the next 7 weeks up to the race. Hopefully to help others training for their first half, but also to keep me accountable for my training! Each week I'll write about my runs and other training and do a feature on "what I learnt about running this week". I hope you find it interesting and helpful!
Who else is doing run to the beat??

7 weeks to go!

My training weeks tend to start at the weekends and run till Friday so here goes for last week.

Saturday

A hot day visiting family in Sussex. A spot of open water swimming (only half and hour or so!) in the sea. I don't think I've done this for years but it was so nice after the mugginess of London over the last few weeks.

This was followed but a 3 miler along the sea front in the early evening. It was so good to run with a breeze in the fresh sea air! It reminded me why I love running!

Sunday: rest day

Monday

Monday was suppose to be a 10 miler according to my asics training plan. Over the weekend I'd visited decathlon to stock up on a variety of gels, which people keep saying I should use for long runs. I also dug out and old travel money belt to keep said gels and cash to buy water along the way.

I had a good breakfast early and set out for my run about half 11, along my beloved london canals.

The first 4 miles were great, I had downloaded one of the free remixes for rock my run and was at a good pace down to the Thames and back towards Victoria park. At mile 5 I decide to pause in Victoria park for a toliet stop, buy more water and try a gel. 

But this point it was just after 12 and about 30 degrees. I set of for a lap of the park and then up to Islington canal side, but really struggled. Nothing was hurting, it was just so so hot, and the self doubt began to creep in. I made it up to shoreditch with a few stop starts and decided to turn back home, a little disappointed but happy with my decision not to push myself too hard in the blistering sun. I later found out this was the hottest day of the year so far. 32 degrees. Too hot for a red headed freckly thing.

I popped home and after a quick pasta lunch went to meet some friends at London fields lido. Have lived in east london for 5 years I can't believe I had never been here before! It's amazing!


The plan was a dip and some sunbathing, however this soon turned into 30 lengths (of a 50 meter pool), as I'd forgotten how much I used to love swimming. I cycled home knackered but happy as larry, but promptly fell asleep on the sofa after my day of exercise. Needless to say the next day I was still knackered.

Tuesday - rest day, plan was to do the lorna Jane pop up 5km but was hurting too much from previous days activities

Wednesday

After a lovely day frolicking in the country with a lovely friend (including a yummy pub lunch) I returned to the smoke quite late so didn't get out for a run until 8:30pm However it was lovely, much cooler than the recent runs I had recently had in London, 3 miles of bliss and very fast for me! Happy run day.

Thursday - rest day

Friday

For my final run of the week I was pretty knackered after a day of packing up my london flat for the big move tomorrow, but none the less I wanted to really enjoy my last run in east London for a while, especially as this is the place I found my running mojo. I set of about 8pm and headed towards the canals for my usual jornt but decided to take a different canal up towards the Olympic park. It was spectacular! Especially as there was a legacy event on and they were interviewing British atheles!

I paused and reflected on how far I'd come. I couldn't of imagined this time last year I'd be running at all, let alone miles at a time and training for a half marathon!

I turned back through my beloved Victoria park and along the canal home feeling happy and content. And faster than my regular pace to my surprise!

Overall I did about 6miles in around an hour. Very happy running day!

What I've learnt about running this week


  • What a foam roller is, something I am suppose to use to stretch my ITB, right, better invest
  • If I've having a good day I run better, faster and I enjoy it more
  • The importance of cross training - I have rediscovered swimming!
  • I need to stretch more

How is your training going? How are you coping with the heat? What are you training for?

No comments:

Post a Comment