Wednesday 17 July 2013

Race day prep - the kit you need

I've done 3 organised events to date, Energizer Night Run, We Own the Night and most recently the British 10km (blog post to follow). Most of what I've learnt so far about what you need on race day I've learnt the hard way!

What I have learnt is preparation is everything. Whether its following a training plan to give you the confidence that you can complete the race or choosing the right kit you've worn before so you know its comfy and functional.


What I learnt from Energizer night run


For my first run I was a little unprepared. Having never taken part in a sporting event before I had no idea what to take, what to wear, what a bag drop was....

My key lessons from this race were:

1) never ever ever wear cotton to run in, especially when it is raining. Bad times.

2) Pack a spare top and trousers (esp if its raining!) to change into afterwards

3) Take post race treats you want to eat in case the ones they give you aren't very nice

4) Never ever ever use something for the first time on race day. My iphone holder left me with a small scar.


We Own the Night




For my second race I was more prepared with a change of clothes, carrying my iphone and assorted treats for post race. However, I had been out of action for a few weeks and with the temperature rising was not prepared for running in the humidity!

Key lessons learnt:
1) I cannot run in anything with sleeves (no matter how small) when it is hot

2) although sweat bands are the least trendy item known to man, they are mandatory when running in the heat!

3) Hydration is so so important and should be done during the day before as well as pre - race

4) If your doing a race on your own, have mates come along to cheer you on! especially if its only your second event! Felt quite intimidated going on my own!


With two races under my belt and a very useful Womens Running event at Runners Need attended, I was feeling ready for the british 10km! I had my kit out the night before, spare tops, sun cream, vita coco. 



So here's my essential kit

1) running vest, not cotton, very comfortable and always worned before race day

2) Running leggings

3) proper running socks - they really do stop you getting blisters

4) tried and tested trainers

5)Race number and spare safety pins

6) spare kit

7) Running arm band - I love yfumble as its seamless

8) headphones - I use yurbuds

9) factor 50 sweat and water resistant suncream! ones for kids are usually good!

10) Yummy post race treats - I love Vitacoco

11) Cash

12) Keys

What do you use for race days?


No comments:

Post a Comment