Saturday 29 June 2013

Kit you need to start running

Most of what I've learn about running kit, I've learnt the hard way. When I started getting strict with exercise, I soon realised a pair of old leggings, a few tee shirts from charity events and some clearance trainers weren't really going to suffice!

Buying exercise gear can be hugely overwhelming with so many brands, reviews, tips, not to mention very opinionated friends! Here's a little list of what I think you need to get started, with some brands I've found fantastic and (mostly) affordable

1. Trainers


As mentioned, I started this process with very old, very cheap trainers which quite frankly did my knees more harm than the good all the running was doing. Countless people told me to go "get my gait assessed" at a running shop. I eventually gave in, took myself off to Asics, puffed on the treadmill, to emerge with my first proper pair of trainers. As boy did they make a different. Firstly running was easier. Secondly my knees and hips stopped hurting. And thirdly (and probably most importantly) I almost looked the part. Tons of stores do gait assessment now. If your not worried about a particular brand, I'd really recommend Runner's Need. They've got a huge selection and are really friendly and helpful.


2. Leggings

When I started running, I had one pair of "sports" trousers, a very old pair of rebok joggers, circa 2003. Nice. I was initially quite reluctant to convert to leggings, as thought they were make for skinny tall women who look like they do every form of exercise under the sun, not 5 ft nothing slightly cuddly women with a complex about her thighs. However, I knew I needed some new kit and a friend recommended H&Ms sport  section, which proved to be affordable and functional as well as rather stylish. Its amazing how much better you run with leggings rather than baggy joggers. You have to try it to believe it. I love these babies!

H&M 3/4 Running Leggings £19.99




3. Tops

As much as I prefer not to get my arms out, running vests really are the best way to keep cool whilst running, as well as a light weight jacket. I've found in general anything made of cotton is bad. It sticks, gets very sweaty and uncomfortable and rubs (I've got the scars to prove it!) Resorting to my bargainous finds at H&M Sport, these tops are great and a snip at £7.99!
H & M sports Top £7.99




4. Bra

This is a lady specific item. Sports Bras. They are worth their weight in gold. Not to mention protect our assets whilst pounding the pavement. Don't scrimp here. Especially if your rather well endowed in the chest department. Personally I use Shock Absorber Bras and get them fitted at Bravissimo. My fave is this Run Bra, which comes in fab colours!
Shock Absorber Ultimate Run Bra 




5. Accessories

Accessories are really up to you. I run with a water bottle in one hand and Iphone in the other, but I know lots of people who free run with nothing, and others with a backpack full of treats, energy bars, cash, coconut water, you name it. I found it took a few months of running and 2 events to realise what suited me. I've found the Sweat Shop great for accessories and reasonably priced as well.

Happy Running
S
x

No comments:

Post a Comment