Tuesday 2 July 2013

Nike+ Run to the Beat Training Runs

Firstly I'm going to put this out there, I'm not a fan of group running. For me its just like being back in school and being the last person across the finish line. Not very fun and doesn't give me much confidence about my running.

It took me tons on courage to go along to Run Hackney running club, which defied every preconception I had about running clubs, was friendly approachable and had huge amounts of encouragement for the trainer Ade.

I've recently started my run to the beat training, first half marathon so very very nervous at this stage and full of self doubt. I used ASICS to design my training plan. This is great because it uses your times from previous runs as well as weight height data to produce a plan for you. You can then download there app with your plan on it to map your runs.

Being my first half marathon, I need all the help I can get, so when I heard about the Nike+ Training runs at Boxpark I thought I'd check it out.

I arrived at Boxpark with the boy in tow (managed to bully him into signing up for Run to the Beat as well) feeling very nervous, and surrounded by boys and girls who looked super sporty slim and tone. No one was really mingling, more just sizing each other up, which only made me feel worse! We eventually struck up conversation with a few people who seemed to be the only ones that hadn't done a half marathon before.

The session started with a pep talk from Sonia Moses one of nike's master trainers. She gave some fantastic advice on training and the importance of cross training.

We then warmed up outside, the warm up itself was good, just a little tricky on the cobbles outside of boxpark. Once we were ready to go we split into two groups, beginners and intermediate. I was promised all paces were welcome so joint the beginners group hoping it would be full of equally nervous and new runners.


As we set of my Shock Absorber running bra promptly pinged it strap. Hugely helpful, but the pace was so fast I didnt have chance to stop and sort it out. I soon found my self right at the back with two other girls, and the "slow" pacer almost out of sight. This was a little downhearting as the 3 of us were running at a pace of 6:15- 6:45 min per km , which although slow, wasn't like we were walking.

Luckierly the run was in my stomping ground and I knew the route well, along the canal, round Victoria park and back. I love running along the canal so tried to focus on enjoying the run whilst not getting too down about being at the back.


Once we got to the park, we couldn't even see the rest of the pack, one of the girls sped off and I hung back with the other girl, who had only signed up for Run to the Beat the day before, and was promised a "beginners run" but the nike guys. We continued running at our pace, of 10ish  min miles and once we got back to the canal for the home run, the last pacer was waiting for us. Arriving back to box park in around 53 mins for 5 miles. But feeling a little crap about the whole think. 

I think training runs are great, and running clubs are a fab way of getting training tips and making friends. But in this instance the runs really didn't seem to be geared towards beginners, and this put of me and a few of my friends at the back. Despite the fact we ran the whole thing, just slowly. At the end of the day I made a few friends and swapped numbers so now have some new running buddies to train with, but I'm not sure I'll be going back. 

If your a bit faster like the boy, who lead the 5 mile group from the front, then its a fab group to be a part of but I'm not sure this one is for me. Perhaps Nike need to state what kind of speeds they will be going at, or what running experience you need before coming along. 

Happy Training

S
x

No comments:

Post a Comment