Thursday 15 August 2013

The hardest thing about being a runner is not running


Well, after months of adjusting my life to make room for my new love of running, looking for a new home around running routes and planning annual leave around races my running has been promptly put to a stop by being very unwell and needing emergency surgery earlier this week.

The old me would have relished the time off work and loved the excuse not to exercise but I'm already having mega withdrawal symptoms from not being able to run for 2 weeks and longingly looking out the apartment along the river as the after work runners.

Its funny, I never thought running would ever be something I loved, let alone my escapism and the place I can refocus and get perspective on what's going on in my day to day life. Running has become way more that just exercise or training for a race. It's made me more grounded, its given me the headspace to think over decisions and process what has happened in my day, something which has been great with a new job and new responsibilities of being a doctor.

After the surgery the first question I asked was "when can I start running again?" and the second "can I still do my half marathon in 3 1/2 weeks?" Hopefully i'll be back to running in a few weeks but my training for my first half has been hugely hindered by this unexpected turn of events.

So runners, any tips on how to cope when you can't run? any thoughts on me still doing my half?

No comments:

Post a Comment